You may have read about the sad demise of my Must Have Cardigan. I made a pillow out of it and I am enjoying seeing it on my bed. There was quite a big of fabric available on the sleeves, so I decided to make a hot pad or trivet for a couple of hostess gifts.
2. Place a piece of fabric under your square – wrong sides together – with several inches of border. If you think you need extra insulation, add a layer of Insul-Brite under your sweater. (Thanks to Craft Gossip for suggesting this!)
4. Cut the fabric leaving a one-inch border around the knit square.
5. Trim the corners.
6. Square the corners. It’s not rocket science…it’s just upcycle sewing. So don’t worry if it’s not perfect! I fold up the corner first and pin it in place.
And then double fold the two sides to create a mitered corner.
7. Continue folding and pinning around the square.
8. Top stitch. I used a decorative stitch on this one.
Enjoy! This would make a lovely trivet and I think it would be a lovely hostess gift for Thanksgiving.