I can’t stand throwing things away. When my son’s bathing suit’s elastic gave out, I bought him a new bathing suit. (That’s because I don’t know a seamstress who can change out the elastic…..) Although the material was bleached-out, I thought it would make a sturdy drawstring bag. Something to grab for gym class or a quick trip to the pool.
So here’s a quick tutorial on how to make one.
1. Cut along leg seams and up along center front and back seams.
2. You have created two pieces of fabric.
3. Remove the waistband and inner mesh.
4. Square up (or rectangular up) the top and sides.
5. Use this piece as a pattern to cut the second piece.
6. Sew or serge around three sides leaving the top open. (I was so excited to try this that I didn’t think about how I usually make a drawstring bag – which is to start and stop sewing 2″ from the top to leave room for a casing.)
7. Finish the top fabric by serging or folding over 1/4″ and sewing.
8. Make a buttonhole 1.5″ below the top near each side seam. Use stabilizer under the buttonhole.
9. Fold down the fabric and stitch around to form casing.
10. Use twill tape for the drawstring.
Measure four times the width across. Cut in half to create two drawstrings.
Thread one through and knot on one side.
Do the same on the other side!
This would work well as a drawstring backpack also! I’ll try that with the next pair!